Friday, August 11, 2006

Blame it on Lindsay Lohan...please

The Normal Heart is a play about gay men dying of AIDS in the 1980s. I reviewed a fine production of it at the Uptown Players in Dallas last week and what I now remember most about the evening was not the sensitive acting, deft direction or powerful message about love, loss and acceptance, but the little "beepity-beeps" of the two young men sitting to my right who spent the first act texting their friends on their cellphones.

Little blue screens lighting up their faces, the guys kept at it. Maybe they were bored by the talky script or just doing that thing where they're trying to be macho by not paying attention because it's gay stuff onstage. Whatever. They were rude as shit and it bugged me.

Seconds before I jerked the phones out of their hands and walloped them over the head, the young men got out of their seats and lumbered out the door. It's a small theater. The actors had to have been aware of the commotion. I felt bad for the actors, trying to maintain concentration while the shitheels with the need to send misspelled missives to their pals got a pass.

I see stuff like this all the time. Why are people so awful in places where they should be nice?

My fave blogger of the moment, Dave White, sums it up nicely here.

He blames the current wave of rudeness in public on certain celebs. What do you think?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the more reason to go ahead and legalize cell jamming like they do in Israel.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lindsay who?

Ahhh, the benefits of not having a TV.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Mike M. said...

I can't imagine that it has anything to do with celebreties, because I fankly have barely heard of the girl you mention and know nothing about whether she is rude or not. Of course, I'm 46 years old, so that might have something to do with that.

But still, I think that the casue must be more fundamental. (Plus, most of the people that I have met who would be considered celebreties are all very well mannered, although many are in politics, although some are in music, acting, and professional sports.) As to what the more fundamental thing is that accounts for the problem, however, I fear that I am at a loss to explain it. I think that parents must not be emphasizing manners as much, but that simply begs the question -- why aren't they. As to that, I can't say.

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that it seems more that culture has bred celebrities like Lohan, rather than the other way around.

--Andy

P.S.-It does not "beg the question". Begging the question is a logical fallacy in a debate that has nothing to do with they way most of us tend to misuse the phrase (ie, it does not mean "begs that one answer the question").

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home