Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Fall break!

Yay! The semester's already half over. Can you believe it?

So now everybody skips town for a few days. Professor Lunch-Guy took off for, I don't know, Rangoon or somewhere. He's been gone so much this fall, I've just about forgotten what he looks like.

I'm in Port Aransas, the Texas coast resort town that time forgot. Looks like rain, but at this point I'd walk on the beach in a thunderstorm. I need me some beach.

The Holiday Inn down here is about two years old. I've stayed here several times a year since it opened and now can say with certainty how long it takes for a nice little chain hotel to go downhill: two years. Nothing's right here anymore. No luggage carts. No extra pillows. No ethernet cables. And worse: no cinnamon rolls! All the ads and the brochures boast of this hotel's free breakfast and scrumptious cinnamon rolls. I bustled down at 8 a.m. to grab a plateful and found an empty countertop. Will there be more coming out? I asked the lady whisking cornflake crumbs onto the floor. "We're out. They're on order. Might come in on Thursday," she said. My suggestion: Why don't you send someone to the grocery store THREE BLOCKS AWAY to buy some more? This sent her into a tiny tizzy.

But still no rolls. Only the imported roll will do for this joint, I guess.

Bummer.

My mom visited my last class before the break because she's never watched me teach before. Afterward she told me she filled out one of the evaluation forms that I'd sent around. She gave me top scores.

I'll bet wherever Lunch-Guy is, they have better breakfast food.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog, and you don't have to look at any ads or other poopaganda.

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How's your book coming along? I'd love to hear about it. Is it as easy to write as you thought? Are you following your book proposal outline?

Are you having fun with it? Or, is it growing in different directions. When I wrote my book, it started in one stack on the floor, then another, then two or three more, until I had all 12 chapters scattered throughout my livingroom, den, and kitchen. You couldn't walk to the bathroom without tripping over piles of my papers.

How strange to actually "grow a book." I felt like I was giving birth to a paper monster!

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hanging in Port A, hehe. Y9u know that it is a mix of Manana Time and Island Time, right? There is a neat place to stay just across the street. The Seashell Village. Jim Urban is a heckuva nice guy, plus, they have live music at the Third Coast Theater in their 130 seat venue. Check it out and tell 'em Dave Avery sent you.

Have you checked out any of the nightlife, yet? I recommend the Back Porch Bar.

I used to live in Corpus Christi and ran around Port A for a couple of years. Waaay laid back.

Dave Avery

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can recommend the Holiday Inn SunSpree North Padre Island, Corpus Christi. It is off the Island road to Port Aransas they always have all of the extras. Been going there yearly for the last eighteen years… love the free music outside at the bar by the pool.

8:03 PM  
Blogger HOLMES said...

Curious.... how is your book coming? I'd love to read about what it's like to deal with an editor, how you pick the font and cover art and all that... if you run out of things to write about.

Congrats on Fall Break... ours was last week and I practically shit on myself with delight every day I didn't have to teach.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I've had my mom come to my class before, it was kind of fun to have her see what I do and my students loved meeting my mom!

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you ever HAD breakfast in Rangoon? i have many times, and i promise it is pretty much the worst breakfast on earth. think sugary longlife bread, semi-boiled egg, and some kind of dish we call "elbow curry" covered in a thick layer of oil....

2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home