Thursday, March 30, 2006

The ugly scrawl

George Henson is a nice man who teaches languages at the university where, just about a year ago today, I was given the heave-ho via a tersely worded letter. I write a blog. Henson writes a blog. And on that blog last year he wrote supportive words for me and my blog. He also emailed me, which at the time I deeply appreciated. He was the sole full-time faculty member at the place who stood up for me in public. And for that, I'm forever in his debt.

On his door at school, Henson has a rainbow sticker that indicates that his office is a safe haven for gay students. It's part of an effort on campus to make gay students--particularly those who haven't yet come out--feel less alienated.

This week Henson showed up for work to find the word "FAGGOT" scrawled across the rainbow sign.

How safe do you think gay students feel now? How safe do you think Henson feels?

Here's the story from the campus newspaper.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

two words:
Pink Pistols

10:38 PM  
Blogger Delete said...

People are all too quick to jump to conculsions. I'm afraid this is more of the same type of work as the girl who raised her hand in a debate lesson and said that if all people with dissenting positions should shut up, the world would be a better place.

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

George IS a very nice man. My heart breaks (not for him -- I know he can take it and understands what's behind it) -- but for what this means about the state of our country today.

Speak out against the administration or its policies in any way, and if they feel your voice is loud enough, they will find a way to (try to) silence you.

Why am I smelling Nazi Germany?

10:28 AM  
Blogger Jeff the Baptist said...

“If this was the work of a Bush supporter who was upset by my criticism of the Bush administration,” Henson said, “It doesn’t surprise me that this would be their response. This is a perfect example of the tactics that Bush and his supporters have always used against their critics.”

Yes this was a cowardly act. On the other hand I don't think the solution is tarring Republicans and Bush supporters as bigots and homophobes for something they may not have even done.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pink Pistols? C'mon. What about demand for gun control? Hell, the few gay bloogers who stand up for the 2nd Amendment get abused by their "comrades in arms."

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised - especially as an out lesbian attending a jesuit college.

It's a shame when shit like this happens, I wish I had something more insightful to offer, but all I can do is shake my head.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ksr, you do understand that Nazi Germany was a place where political opponents were beaten up by thugs and put into concentration camps? In fact, each major party (except for the bourgeois parties) had their troops that used to clash violently in the preceding Weimar Republic period.

To compare this in any sense to what's going on in the US today is ludicrous. (And I am definitely not a Bush supporter)

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home