Friday, March 10, 2006

Blogger heaven

Golly, it's blogger-ific down here in Austin, TX, where the South By Southwest Interactive Festival (in conjunction with the film and music fests) started today. Just returned from dinner at Stubbs' Bar-B-Q, where I met the women behind BlogHer.com and communed with my fellow panelists. We talked about what we've gained or lost from blogging.

A woman from Toronto has lost two jobs.

A woman from Miami has lost 100 pounds.

A woman from California has lost a boyfriend.

I lost one teaching job but gained another. I also got a year's worth of publicity (nice mention in this week's Austin Chronicle), high-paying speaking gigs, assignments from national magazines and a steady following from an intelligent readership that spans the globe. Without blogging, dang, my life would have chugged along the same boring route I was stuck in for five years!

Hey, guess who I saw in the lobby of my hotel? Kris Kristofferson, here tonight for the Texas Film Awards. Also saw actor Jeff Fahey. He was rolling in the grass out by the pool (no, really) and he rolled over and asked me the time. I said, "I know you! It's 6:41." The town is crawling with celebs from film-music-webworld. Among the speakers at the Interactive Fest tomorrow are Craig of Craigslist and that guy who writes about the wisdom of crowds.

Remember, if you see me, say the secret word--MONKEY--and you get a prize on the spot! That means you, too, Kris! And you, too, Jeff!

1 Comments:

Blogger Eddo said...

I am kicking myself in the ARSE for not going to SXSW this year. I had no idea it was going to be so blogtastic. For St. Patrick's Day I was GREEN with envy after browsing so many flickr photos. UGH. I went camping in Oklahoma, what a mistake. I caught two fish and spent money to be bored out of my gourd.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home