Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Kubby, the writer's friend


There she sat, behind my chair, watching me type. Every now and then she'd tap a paw on her bowl to request a snack or knock against the wall to let me know she needed some play time. So we'd play. And I'd return to writing, newly refreshed and touched by her happy spirit.

Sweet Kubby, the 17-year-old Aussie shepherd, left us last Friday. She had a long life, full of adventures. She got and gave lots of love. She barked at squirrels and the UPS man.

If a dog can be a diva, she was one. She liked to be brushed and combed and seemed a little out of sorts when she wasn't looking her best.

This dog was a genius. Even in her later years, she never lost an IQ point. I once laid out half a dozen of her well-worn toys, which she could fetch by name. In the middle of the pile, I put a rolled up sock, something she'd never played with. I said, "Find the sock, Kubby." She looked at the objects for just a few seconds before picking up the sock in her teeth. She worked it out by elimination. Genius, I tell you.

The house is awfully quiet without her. The corner behind my desk now is filled with papers and books because I can't stand the empty space.

Last night I could swear I heard her bark, the way she did in recent months when she needed another pain pill or a midnight refill of her water bowl. Her spirit is here. It's sad to lose a friend. I wish you could have met her.

14 Comments:

Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

So sad for your loss -- She sounds like an amazing friend. She was lucky to have you to live with

8:06 PM  
Blogger Morgaine said...

Bless her heart and yours, too. I lost a dear pet of mine a few years back, and her spirit is still around. Kubby will always be a part of your home.

3:43 AM  
Blogger BlondebutBright said...

I lost my dog of 13 years just about three years ago. When I'm home visiting my parents, I still have to bite my lip from shouting out her name and anticipating her joyful greeting - her presence will be with me forever.

Dogs are incredible companions. I'm sorry for your loss.

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry for your loss...may you never lose the memories of her beauty or love.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. When a pet has been as good a friend as Kubby, it is like losing a part of your family. Her memory is honored by your touching message.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I'm so sorry. We've got the world's sweetest dog, and he's got lymphoma. We're facing losing him early (he's only 9) and it's not easy.

2:58 PM  
Blogger HOLMES said...

So sorry for your loss. I like animals much better than I like people. In fact, one of the two times I've seen my husband cry was when our cat, Ned, died. The other was at his grandmother's funeral.

Kubby was a really pretty dog. Hate that she's gone.

6:20 PM  
Blogger MAW said...

*hug* Been there, done that, wouldn't wish it on anyone. Sorry to read that it's happened to you. You have my deepest sympathies.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Jeff the Baptist said...

I'm sorry for your loss of a wonderful and intelligent companion. Both my fiance and I have been there in the last few years.

Herding dogs all seem to have keen minds for some reason. I suppose it's the breeding. My family's border collie mix had my father trained very well by the time he succumbed to cancer.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read a touching article about a guy that lost his dog and how pets really are a part of our family and that he isn't embarrassed by how sad he was of his loss. Thought it might be of interest. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11845568/site/newsweek/

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. Yet so happy to hear tha tyou were able to share 17 wonderful years together - what a gift! Treasure the memories, and when the time is right I'm sure Kubby would love for you to share your heart and home with another great pooch in need of a friend...

www.petfinder.com

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry you lost your sweet doggie. :(

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry about your friend-dog, Professor.

Sounds like she lived a long and wonderful life.

Based on what happened with my Lab retriever puppy-bud from my childhood (I was so bereft when she passed I haven't been the official person of another dog since) I bet you'll see her eyes in some young dog's, who's a friend to one of your acquaintances, when you least expect it.

2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your loss. It's always hard to lose a friend; especially the furry four-legged kind.

1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home