Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Prof Rides Again!

One quick post before I wing off to South Beach for a long weekend conference thingy.

To answer some emails: Yes, more stories are to come about uni-life. But between my freelance assignments (some really juicy ones have come my way), the public speaking I've been invited to do, dealing with the book and all that -- my blogging has slowed down. Sorry about that. The blog must be fed! And sometimes I don't even get to the computer until midnight or after. Since my obsessive need to complete five or more games of Scrabble Blast! online kills a large chunk of the nighttime, it's often the wee-est of hours before I start the bloggage. You know how it goes.

Two news items to report:

I have secured a teaching position for the Spring 2006 semester. Another adjunct job (is there any other kind of college gig these days?) at a lovely local campus. I'll be teaching film criticism. The people there are kind and generous. The students are great. I've guest-lectured several times there, which is why I got the offer. I won't mention where it is exactly because of the little gremlins at my former campus who seem determined to toss great lumps of merde in my path everywhere I go. Have I mentioned the harassing phone calls? And that the student making them is so dumb (and probably drunk) that she doesn't realize her phone number pops up on the Caller ID everytime she punches in my digits?

Second item--I've been invited to join a panel on women and blogging at the South By Southwest Interactive festival (aka SXSW) in Austin next March. More details to come on that. Looks like a fabu weekend down there and I'd love for some of y'all to attend so I can meet you face to face.

Please leave the merde at home, though.

Oh, yeah. I had a great lunch with "Dr. March." Away from campus, he's really funny and relaxed. We yakked about politics and ate French food at a sunny sidewalk cafe. Couldn't have been nicer.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous! Good luck at your new job. Avoid the merde.

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting article on the state of high school proms in America today:
http://www.slate.com/id/2129379/

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My girlfriend and I will be attending SXSW. She reads your blog and I can't wait to see you kick some ass.

Perhaps you can add me to your guest list so I can get a platinum badge? ;)

- Jon Hawks

3:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, yeah; that!

and...

Can we re-read while you're not looking?


Have fun, PP!!


A.

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go to Google Images and type in Elaine Liner if you'd like to lay your eyes on this specimen we refer to as "The Phantom." She's a real dish! Yummy!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Red River said...

Getting fired was the best thing that happened to you!

Good for you!

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah, I hear you on the game compulsion. Yahoo Games is thieving my precious my sleep time several nights a week, too. :)

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you're great. i love your funny blog, except it makes me worry that our unis in australia could end up like that hellhole you describe. i'm sorry there are semi-literate simians hassling you but surely it just proves how important you are?

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Prof,

Since you are kind of leaving us high and dry with little to read re. stories of college life, can we write our own?

I need my fix...

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the break, Prof! I was getting tired of trying to stomach the bullshit you post here. Have a good weekend!

4:40 PM  
Blogger HOLMES said...

I think you are great. Having your blog to read has been wonderful for me the past 3 months, 6 weeks of which I spent on medical leave from my teaching job. I can't wait to meet you or fork over some money and just take one of your classes.

Who won the prize for best city slogans?

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to the new job! Looking forward to more tales of college life. Keep it up!

2:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad it would be seen as small-minded and inappropriate to collect that student's number and get them in trouble with the law for harassment, or even stalking (depending on what the legal definition is of that). A private citizen could do it; a teacher, even an ex-teacher, probably can't.

I've been reading Richard Russo's Straight Man and thinking how like it some of your stories are. If you've read it, can you give some impressions?

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am big fan of your blog but I have a question. How can you stand living in Dallas? LOL.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home