Woid Noid Exercise 8: Greek Style
Play a game of synonyms that stem from the three main sources of our words: Anglo-Saxon, Latin and Greek. These words may not mean exactly the same thing ("synonym" may be defined as two or more words of the same language having the same or nearly the same essential meaning in some or all of its senses). Fill in the blanks with the correct words matching its root language.
And the answer is: prophesy.
Writers of the first TWO sets of correct answers posted in "comments" with all the missing words on the following list will receive a copy of Found magazine #1. The six previous winners aren't eligible (you know who you are, but play along anyway, OK?). I have provided the first letter of some of the harder words.
Winners to be determined by me.
1. AS: madman; L:-------; G: maniac
2. AS: worship; L: adore; G: i------
3. AS: ----; L: volume; G: tome
4. AS: true; L: g------; G: authentic
5. AS: forgiveness; L: pardon; G: a------
6. AS: ----------; L: sorcery; G: magic
7. AS: fiendish; L: infernal; G: d---------
8. As: heavenly; L: c--------; G: ethereal
Answers will be posted next week.